Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Surgery to repair aneurysm

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Surgery to repair aneurysm

I have posted on here before about my child's conegnital ventricular aneusym.  Going to meet with surgeon regarding surgery in the future to correct aneurysm.  I know this is rare so I can bet he has hardly ever done any of these repairs.  What does this surgery consist of?  Is this a permanant fix or are we always going top have that lingering thought in our mind that the aneurysm is back?  Long term, how do these kids do?  This whole ordeal is so frightening to us and now just thinking of the fact of sugery is scaring us to death.  You have been one of the few people that can actually give us some insight. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Dear Bigmak,

As you said, these defects are rare and pediatric cardiac surgeons do try to not intervene on these, especially if they're small.  The surgery performed is a Dor procedure, in which the aneurysm is opened and patch is sewn inside to protect the site of the aneurysm.  Then, the aneurysm is closed back up.  It's a procedure that has been performed much more in adults than in kids, though, in hearts that have different problems, so you cannot extrapolate adult data and adult heart problems to that of kids.

Unfortunately, there is essentially no research that reviews this data in children, from what I can find.  I would recommend that you discuss this further with the surgeon and ensure that this procedure truly needs to be performed.  As well, I would make sure that you get several opinions from different institutions regarding this intervention.
Thank you very much for your help!!  I will definatly consider getting a second opinion, especially at CHOP.  I have heard they also have an excellent reputation!!