Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
TGA surgery

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

TGA surgery

My son (Age :3 month ) having a heart problem.. according to ECHO report :

2D and M Mode Observation:
Aorta arises from right ventricle and positioned to right and anterior to pulmonary artery,Pulmonary arterty arises from left ventricle and both major vessels run parallel and right artium and right ventricle are slightly enlarged in size.
interventicular spectrum show perimembranous V.S.D.(6 mm).

Doppler oservation:
Pulmonary arterty arises perdominently from left ventricle and reviews the major share from left ventricle and partly from right ventricle .

After that Dr suggested us to operate.
but the growth of the child is normal and there is no other problem.only some symptomes are visible like ..lips are getting purple when he is crying and bottom of legs are getting cold.

What's your suggestion in this case... is that the necessary to operate or not.
Tags: surgery, 3 month, TGA
Dear Sauna,

Your son has transposition of the great arteries and ventricular septa defect, or TGA/VSD.   This means that the great arteries are switched and that there is a hole between the two lower heart chambers.  Typically there,is also associated pulmonary valve stenosis, or obstruction.  The decision for surgery is based on multiple issues, including the degree of pulmonary stenosis, the relationship of the great arteries, the size of the hole, and ventricular function, to name a few.  Thus, without seeing your son, I cannot comment on the timing of his surgery.  I would recommend that if you are not comfortable with the information you are getting, you should seek a second opinion.
Thanks Jeff...yes you are absolutly right ..
but now am going to take decision for surgery..because day by day the SP O2 precentage decreasing.(currently its 61%)
We prefare...Dr. Devi shetty (narayana hrudayalaya Banglore India)
is that the good option?
That probably sounds reasonable to move forward with surgery.  However, I am not familiar with any surgeons in India, so I cannot advise you on this.