Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Tetralogy of Fallot

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Tetralogy of Fallot

Continued -

All the babies are cute, beautiful, lovely but we do have to agree that there are certain babies are scream, want attention all the time but this little girl is an exceptional. She is very quiet whenever take her to somewhere, still, good mannered, a shy, quiet, sweet smile to everyone when someone is in front of her, then she hides her face to the chest of the one who holds her after the smile, then does it again. Such a lovely smile of her draws many others to come to see her. There are no male figures around her (my father had passed away) but don’t know why she started calling, Papa, papa … a month ago.

She plays by herself quietly often by touching the Wal-Mart plastic grocery bag that I have brought back from the US, that is inserted underneath of the warm cotton-padded quilt that she is in as the diapers are too expensive. I will get her some toys when I go back to China again.  

Sadly, she is a so good looking girl with what the traditional Chinese saying, the little willow eyebrow, apricot kernel eye, cherry lips and is with the unusual natural long eyelashes as we Chinese mostly have the short eyelashes. Her beautiful voice likes a lovely musical rhyme when she makes sounds. The copied Tetralogy of Fallot diagnose of hers is on the way here from China post office. I will do my best by using Google English Translate Tool to have its Chinese written turned into English to see what I can do to get some information about such a Congenital Heart Defect. I sent a letter to an Indianapolis Pediatric Cardiology Surgeon but no reply from it.
Tetralogy of Fallot is a very complex congenital heart defect that can take many forms.  The most severe forms have no pulmonary valve present and very small pulmonary arteries with multiple blood vessels from the aorta supplying blood flow to the lungs.  There are a subgroup of patients like this who do not have surgical options.  Other less severe forms of Tetralogy of fallot can be treated with one or multiple surgeries.  This is NOT something that is completely fixed.  These patients require lifelong follow up even into adulthood.  One has to be prepared for frequent testing and possibly multiple procedrues over a lifetime, so it can be costly without insurance.  Additionally some patients (not all) with Tetralogy of fallot can have chromosome problems that impact their general development and ability to learn.  Of course, one cannot know about that unless special blood testing is done.  So you need specific information regarding this child's particular Tetralogy of fallot before even knowing if the child has any options.