Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Toddler w ASD & pauses in heart beat?
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Toddler w ASD & pauses in heart beat?

My son is 20 months old and has had many health issues due to delay in myelination in his brain. He was also diagnosed with moderate Atrial Septal Defect when he was 6 weeks old. Last June he was discharged from the cardiologist who said the ASD was down to 2mm's and that it should close up the rest of the way by itself. He's always had apneas and on his last monitor download it shows his heart beating very irregular at times. It's having 2 and 3 second pauses causing his apnea monitor to go off. Of course I'm having to wait for a doctor to call back...so I'm wondering if anyone knows what might cause something like this? Could it be from his ASD even though he hasn't had this problem from it in the past? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!