Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Toddler with Visible Vein in Neck

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Toddler with Visible Vein in Neck
Good day

My daughter is almost 3 years old and I've noticed that she has what seems to be a large vein visible on the right side of her neck. She has always been in excellent health but now i'm very concerned. Is this something I need to seek medical attention for ASAP?

Many thanks
Dear Liz,

Without seeing your daughter, I cannot say whether this requires urgent medical attention.  Certainly, if you are concerned about it as being large, she should be evaluated.  However, different people's interpretation of "large" varies.  Thus, what appears to be enlarged to you may actually be normal.  If she is well, it certainly does not sound emergent.