Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Tricuspid Rip

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Tricuspid Rip

DURING A YASI PROCEDURE, MY CHILDS TRICUSPID VALVE WAS RIPPED, THE YASI TURNED INTO  A NORWOOD WHICH MEANS AN EXTRA SURGERY WE WERE TOLD. WHAT CAN I EXPECT NOW, HOW SERIOUS WAS THIS MISTAKE, WILL HE SURVIVE IN THE LONG RUN, HOW DO I GET A SECOND OPINION, DOES THE SAME SURGEON HAVE TO PERFORM THE REMAINING SURGERIES? WHY WONT THE SURGEON AND STAFF BE AS FORTHCOMING AS WE WOULD LIKE? IS MY CHILD GOING TO DIE AND THEY ARE JUST STRINGING ME ALONG? IS MY CHILD MORE SUSEPTABLE TO INFECTION? HE HAD ALL FOUR WORKING CHAMBERS OF HIS HEART NOW HE ONLY HAS THREE THAT WORK, WHATS THAT ABOUT? SO FRUSTRATED, SCARED, ANGRY AND IN THE DARK RIGHT NOW! PLEASE HELP!
Dear Yahurd,

I am presuming that your child had a Yasui procedure, although I don't know what his cardiac anatomy is.  I can tell you that there is data to demonstrate that significant tricuspid valve regurgitation in the face of a Norwood procedure (and eventual single ventricle physiology) is a significant risk factor for cardiac complications and need for reoperations.  He shouldn't be any more susceptible to infections, however.

There is no reason that you cannot obtain a second opinion, nor is there a reason that you cannot have any follow-up care performed somewhere else.  If you feel that you are not getting the answers that you need from the cardiologists or surgeons with whom you have been working, it may be worthwhile to move on.  However, you may want to do this sooner than later.
I am so sorry this happened to you.You can always get a second opinion for your son.I don't know anything about the surgeries but you are free to have an surgeon you like.How old is your son and where do you live?