Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Triscuspid Insufficiency

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Triscuspid Insufficiency
Our daughter had an echo done in December, and we got the results today, as noted below, they mentioned that she now has trivial tricuspid valve insufficiency. I was wondering what this means, if it will cause any complications int he future, and what the long-term effects and risks are?:

age: 6 months
Height: 64 cm
Weight: 6.1 kg
Systolic Pressure: 106 mmHg
Diastolic Pressure: 56 mmHg
BSA: 0.32m2

Small restrictive membranous VSD. VSD max PG: 87.6 mmHg, No LV or LA dilation.  Limited study capabilities due to limited level of cooperation of child.

Normal right and left atrial size. Intact atrial septum.

Trivial tricuspid valve insufficiency. No mitral valve insufficiency.

Normal right and left ventricuel. Normal septal motion consistent with normal right ventricular pressure. Normal pulmonic valve, no aortic valve insufficiency.

Measurements:
RVDd: 0.77cm
IVSd: 0.45 cm
LVIDd: 2.0 cm
LVIDs: 0.93 cm
LVPWd: 0.27 cm
FS: 53.6%
EF: 86.8%
LV mass: 10.7 grams
Ao root diam: 1.3 cm
asc Aorta: 1.1 cm
LVOT diam: 0.96 cm
PA max PG: 7.6 mmHg
Trivial to mild tricuspid insufficiency is seen in most normal children, even with no heart disease, by echocardiography.  It has nothing to do with the VSD.
Oh, because we were told it was from her VSD, as it is her TV tissue that is closing the hole, they said it was pulling on the valve, deforming it, allowing it to leak, but didn't say what the long term complications might be, or if it would get worse?
My daughter has the same type of vsd with tv tissue partly covering the hole, and she also has mild tricuspid regurgitation. We were also told by our card that as much as 90% of the normal population has tr and that it's not due to the tissue that's covering the hole.
Well that's good that it's so common. I guess I was curious, as it was something new that she had developed since her last echo. Will it go away, or just be something she'll have for life?