Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Trivial Mitral Regugitation

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Trivial Mitral Regugitation

Dear Dr,

My daughter who is 6 years old, was borne with a VSD. Subsequently she developed trivial aortic regurgitation. She went through an operation in 2007 and it was succesful and the aortic regurgitation had also ceased. However, last year, during her annual check-up, I noted in the doctor's report that he mentioned the presence of trivial mitral regurgitation. She had another annual check up yesterday and the trivial mitral regurgitation was again detected. The doctor told me that it is not a cause for concern as this type of trivial regurgitation is quite normal among people but I can't help but being so worried about it. My questions are:

1. Could it be that the mitral regurgitation somehow connected to her previous VSD?
2. Is it something that I should really worry about?
3. What is the possibility of the trivial regurgitation developing into more serious leakage in time bearing in mind that she is still very young? I also read somewhere that it is not supposed to be prevalent among children.
Tags: mitral
Trivial mitral valve regurgitation is commonly seen by color doppler imaging on the echocardiogram.  It would not be related to the previous VSD. It is not something that causes symptoms and therefore should not be a concern.  Your child will undergo serial echocardiograms during the growing years, and this can be followed.  Some people develop mitral valve prolapse as they get older, where the valve leaflets are somewhat floppy and can leak.  But even in this situation, the need for surgery is rare. The area of most concern to your child's cardiologist will be following the aortic valve for leakage.