Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Trivial Mitral Regugitation
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Trivial Mitral Regugitation

Dear Dr,

My daughter who is 6 years old, was borne with a VSD. Subsequently she developed trivial aortic regurgitation. She went through an operation in 2007 and it was succesful and the aortic regurgitation had also ceased. However, last year, during her annual check-up, I noted in the doctor's report that he mentioned the presence of trivial mitral regurgitation. She had another annual check up yesterday and the trivial mitral regurgitation was again detected. The doctor told me that it is not a cause for concern as this type of trivial regurgitation is quite normal among people but I can't help but being so worried about it. My questions are:

1. Could it be that the mitral regurgitation somehow connected to her previous VSD?
2. Is it something that I should really worry about?
3. What is the possibility of the trivial regurgitation developing into more serious leakage in time bearing in mind that she is still very young? I also read somewhere that it is not supposed to be prevalent among children.
Tags: mitral