Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Turn around time for CT Scan results

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Turn around time for CT Scan results

My 14 yr old has various dx's.  (Chiari 1, Probably connective tissue disorder) One is a Pin hole VSD that appears fine on echo and a single right coronary artery.  We had a scan Tuesday to find out if it goes between the great arteries (life threatening) or around (fine) It is now Friday and wondered how long it should take to get results.  I called doc Wed and they said they were waiting interpretation and doc would call me soon as they know.  I am very nervous waiting and wondered how long it takes generally.  All his MRI's of brain we got the same day or next morning.  TX!!   Robin
Dear Robin,

Various institutions have different abilities to turn around their results.  The availability of these results may depend on if there is someone at your hospital who has experience reading these studies versus if it has to be sent out.  It also depends on if the findings are clear cut versus more difficult to interpret, suggesting the need to manipulate the images more.  Evaluating a chest MRI is not the same as evaluating a brain for several reasons.  The most obvious reason is that the brain holds still while the heart and vessels move, so there is much more to assess.  As well, there are many more anatomical structures in the chest requiring evaluation as compared to the brain.  Finally, it's a larger space to look at.  Therefore, I would recommend that you remain patient.  However, if you do not feel that you are getting the evaluation or explanations that you need, you should consider a second opinion.
His cardiologist called me and sadly wasnt able to say it was fine and went around as he had hoped.  He said the CT results were suspicious that it goes between the two great arteries.  He is now set up for a Cath the 20th of May.  I thought CT scans were pretty good so I'd assume that this means it probably does go between and before they consider major surgery they want one more look to confirm for sure or is the CT scan not as accurate and it still means a good chance in being fine?  I am prepared for both, he has been through so much as it is and I know we will get through this too.  Just wondering what I should expect from all directions.  He didnt mention any restrictions but wondered if there should be til we know for sure ~

TX again!!  I know you have seen him in person or the results themself so hard to say for sure, just trying ot be most prepared as best I can til he get a positive dx.  

TX!!  Robin ~