Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Two ASD's

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Two ASD's

Hi my 4 month old daugther was diagnoised with two ASD's in her heart. I have read about the closure if there is a single ASD, but since my daugther has two ASD's is the closure by cath still possible?

Closure of atrial septal defects with ASD occluder devices in the cardiac catheterization laboratory is an option instead of surgery in select patients.  Generally, closure of an ASD is not recommended until at least 2 to 4 years of age, since an ASD can get smaller, and even close spontaneously, during the first 2 to 3 years of life.  Therefore, if your daughter is only 4 months old, is growing well, and has no other complicating medical issues, then there would be no indication to close her ASD at this time.  The ASD occluder device can be used for 2 defects depending upon their size and location.   Therefore, one cannot determine if a patient is a candidate for device closure until they are older, and the details of the size of the ASD and the surrounding rims of tissue are measured, when the chiild is older and the hole is not expected to improve further on its own.