Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Unusual SVT

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Unusual SVT

My name is Liam and I am 16 years old. Recently i was diagnosed with SVT. We do not know what type of SVT it is and we do not know what induced it. but let me tell my story. it was around the middle of October and i had an episode of SVT with a resting BPM of about 150. they sent me to the ER gave me several things to try and take it down and they did not work. they decided at the last moment before shocking me to give me Diltiazem which magically worked and dropped it right down to a regular 65-75 BPM. Now i have been through many EKGs and they know that it is SVT. However, the only issue being that i do not feel my BPM rise to 150 considering it is not that fast and that makes it seem like it may be not the normal case of SVT. They have not fully recommended ablation yet because they feel that i am the on the border and if that is true then they do not want to take the 5% risk that catheter ablation fails. now what i am asking for is what do you guys think? i went to see a expert and Columbia University in NY and he said that I may have AVNRT, the nerve may be to close to the AV node, they may not be able to induce the SVT while i am under anesthesia. all these rolls are in play and i am wondering what you guys feel i should do. Keep in mind that i do not feel SVT when it happens and thats why they are hesitant with catheter ablation. also just so you know i am a little terrified of needles and hospitals. Thanks guys!
Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) does come in several forms.  If your SVT rate is only 150 bpm, then you are correct, you would not likely feel that so much, as in other people where the heart rate is much faster. Unfortunately people who have slower forms of SVT can go into it and stay in it for long periods without knowing it, and that causes extra work for the heart that can lead to weakening of the heart muscle.  The appearance of the ECG while you are in SVT should give a clue as to what type it is.  Sometimes this is treated with medication instead of ablation.  While it is true that not all SVT is inducible in the cardiac cath lab while under anesthesia, it is true that many times it is successful.  I would suggest getting a second opinion with a pediatric electrophysiologist as to whether or not there is a clearer diagnosis and path for therapy.  I am concerned that your heart may get weaker if you go into it and stay in it for a long time and don't realize it.