Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
VSD

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

VSD

Hi Doctor
My child is 15 days old. He is slightly preterm baby. He was born on my 36th week and his birth weight was 2.4kg.
His pediatrician detected murmurs in his heart and he advised us to take Echo. In echo holes were identified in his heart which is as big as 5mm. Doctor said the hole might close on his own otherwise he would start treatment when he completes one month. We went to another doctor and he said there is nothing to worry as of now and this hole would close on its own if not treatment has to be started after 6 months. My baby has little breathing problem while feeding otherwise he is normal.

We are much worried  . We live in India. We don't know what should we do now?
All children are born with a hole in the wall between the upper heart chambers called a patent foramen ovale (PFO).  It usually ranges in size from 2 to 4 mm.  A 5 mm would be a bit larger than the norm, but they can certainly get smaller spontaneously.  I cannot tell from your posting if there is also a hole between the lower heart chambers called a ventricular septal defect (VSD).  Most of them get smaller over time as well.   If you have seen 2 doctors who both agree that this has a good prognosis for improvement, then you need to take their advice.  Watch your child for appropriate weight gain, and they will follow up the size of the hole in a few months time.  There is nothing to do unless the child does not grow well due to too much extra blood flow going to the lungs, which seems unlikely here.  Good luck.