Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
VSD
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

VSD

My baby is 7 month and his wieght about 6.5 kg and he have VSD 6 mm and know he take lasix 5 mg and aldactone 5 mg   my question is if he need surgery or not to close this shut or not .
Related Discussions
773655_tn?1340656399
It sounds like your child has a moderate to large VSD and is being treating with cardiac medication because of that.  The weight is not ideal for a baby of 7 months, suggesting that growth is limited.  If there are no other resasons for the child's weight to be abnormal, then it is possible that heart surgery to close the VSD will be required before 1 year of age.
3 Comments
Blank

Thanks you very much,doctor...i really appreciate for your answer!

I want to ask if the VSD is affecting the growth or not ?
Blank

Thanks you very much,doctor...i really appreciate for your answer!

I want to ask if the VSD is affecting the growth or not ?
Blank
773655_tn?1340656399
Yes, that would be the reason to close the VSD. If the heart is working hard and using up the calories that could go towards the child's growth, then closing the hole can help the child's weight gain.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
773637_tn?1327450515
Jeffrey R Boris, M.D.Blank
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker