Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
VSD

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

VSD

My baby is 7 month and his wieght about 6.5 kg and he have VSD 6 mm and know he take lasix 5 mg and aldactone 5 mg   my question is if he need surgery or not to close this shut or not .
It sounds like your child has a moderate to large VSD and is being treating with cardiac medication because of that.  The weight is not ideal for a baby of 7 months, suggesting that growth is limited.  If there are no other resasons for the child's weight to be abnormal, then it is possible that heart surgery to close the VSD will be required before 1 year of age.

Thanks you very much,doctor...i really appreciate for your answer!

I want to ask if the VSD is affecting the growth or not ?

Yes, that would be the reason to close the VSD. If the heart is working hard and using up the calories that could go towards the child's growth, then closing the hole can help the child's weight gain.