Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
VSD 4MM

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

VSD 4MM

My son had 4 mm of VSD has been discoverd by doctor ECHO on the fisrst month ( 20 days )doctor not advise us for surgery or give him medicen his kg is 4.5 now and on the birth (first day) is 3.9kg , there is no lung problem showen in the xray which is taken in the same time with echo,
Please advise us for the issue or solutution
Regards
amer
Dear Almarhoon,

Without evaluating your son, I cannot say exactly what needs to be done for him at this point.  He has a ventricular septal defect that is most likely relatively small, although it could be moderate in size.  It can allow too much blood to recirculate to the lungs, which could cause him to have getting out of breath with feeds or getting sweaty with feeds.  If this happens, he will need medicine to help him deal with this.  This defect may be at the size where all it needs to do is to become smaller as he grows to limit the amount of blood going across it; it does not have to completely close.  Therefore, you should continue routine evaluation with your pediatric cardiologist to make sure that he is eating and growing well.  If the defect remains too big for him to continue growing and if he continues to have persistent symptoms despite medication therapy, he may need surgery to close the defect.
Dear Dr.
thanks doctor for replying on our quistion
doctor jeffery i mentioned here bellow more information and all details of the tow test xray and echo so may it help you to evaluating my son case and regarding the feeding it is good till date and sweeting may not but aim warry about the grwoing in weight so kindly we are waiting your opinion

Birthday 9-9-2012
checkup resuilt : 28-9-2012
ECHO TEST DATE :29-9-2012
XRAY TEST DAY :29-9-2012

the Ecko resuelt as mentioned bellow:
I V SEPTUM DIAST IS 0.6 CM
L V POST WAL DIAST IS 0.5 CM
PERICRDIUM IS NORMAL

MITRAL VALVW IS NOTMAL

AORTIC VALVE IS NORMAL

TRICUSPID VALVE IS NORMAL

PULMONIC VALVE IS NORMAL

LV VALVE IS NORMAL

LVEF IS 72 %
FS IS 38 %

LV WALLS MOTION IS NORMAL

COMCLUSION :

1- NORMAL SITUS SOLITUS ,
2-NORMAL RELATED GREAT ARTERIES.
3-MODERATE SIZE MEMN=BRANOUS VSD EXTENDED TO INLET =4 MM WITH LEFT TO RIGHT SHUNT.
4-NORMAL SYSTOLIC LV FUNCTION AND WALL MOTION
5-NORAML PULLMONARY AND AORTA(NO PS,NO PDA,NO COARCTATION)
6-NORMAL CARDIAC VALVES MORPHOLOGY AND FUNCTION
7-NORMAL PERICARDUIM

MODEARTE SIZE VSD

THE X-RAY RESUILT

NO FOCAL LUNG PATHELOGY COULD SEEN( CXR A.P VIEW)

so kindly advise us what to do for him he is the first baby after waiting 6 years

is there agood chance for close it by the life time or should meake surgery

wieght at the 1 st day 3.9 kg
after 20 days is 4.00 kg

the docors here suggested to do the seconed checkup after the 2 next week for following up his case

thanks for reading and apprecaiting your advise

aamer almarhoon
Your son's defect is identical to what our daughters was: membranous VSD with extension into the inlet. We were told that VSDs affecting the inlet have a lower chance of closing on their own, in fact our daughter's cardiologist had given us a 0% chance of avoiding surgery. However, her's was also large, and she had a second defect: an ASD. She was in heart failure by a week of age, and required medications and a feeding tube. However... by some miracle, her VSD closed, and she didn't require surgery. She was on medications until almost 7 months of age, and the VSD finally closed around 17 months.
Dear Aamer,

It is a bit worrisome that after 20 days, the weight is just barely above birthweight.  However, I cannot make a judgment based on an echo report alone, and this forum is not the place to evaluate patients who have not been evaluated personally by me.  Your doctor will need to continue to assess your son and determine what medical or surgical intervention needs to occur.  However, if you feel that you are not getting the answers to your questions, you should consider a second opinion.
thanks doctor i hope my son will be good by the life time and VSD will close
thanks dear i hope my son will be good and vsd close by the time