Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
VSD OF HEART

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

VSD OF HEART

My 6 month old baby girl have VSD of 2.5mm kindly suggest e what is the treatment.

regards
Dayamay
Dear Dayamay,

Treatment of a ventricular septal defect (VSD) depends on both the size of the defect as well as how the child is doing with the defect.  It allows blood to cross from the left side of the heart to the right and recirculate through the lungs back to the left.  If it is a small amount of blood, the child will be normal.  If it is a larger amount of blood, it can cause the heart and lungs to work harder than normal.  Without seeing your daughter, I cannot say what needs to be done for her.  Typically, a 2.5 mm defect is probably going to be considered small, and not be a problem.  It may close by itself, as well.  As long as she is eating well without getting out of breath or getting sweaty with feeds, and she is growing well, she is most likely fine.  However, your pediatric cardiologist should be seeing her on a regular basis, evaluating her, and discussing this with you further.
my daughter had vsd.pda.and an asd..her heart was 3 times the size only realized in a post mortem because was told while she was alive she was pigeon chested.she had syanosis and clubbed fingers..all of which I learnt after her passing..she was 3 years old and 9 months... she died after a failed attempt to close what we thought was one hole in her heart.. but with all these symtoms (symptoms)..  can I ask you for your professional opinion?  could so much more of been done? these doctors must of known..she didn't make it out of the operation...,ye know! its ok,i know more could of been done.im not stupid.it happened such a long time ago.iv searched for answers for so long as to why...now I know why.  coz no one threw ther fricken hands up in the air I said **** I missed it....she also had hirshbrungs disease and suffered..i mean suffered because that too was only found in her post mortem..i was fobbed off and my daughter suffered....now reading this do you feel its wrong? or are you just another doctor that will ignore me and stick by your colleagues? its ok.coz considering my daughter would of been 21 a couple of weeks ago..the pain stays the same...you just learn to deal with it....I know my daughter was wronged and failed....sorry for busting ye chops...but she was,bizarrrely wronged
Dear Lisa,

It sounds like your daughter definitely had a lot going on with her heart as well as her GI tract.  Your question is essentially whether this should have been recognized earlier.  When she was born 21 years ago, our knowledge of congenital cardiac disease and our ability to recognize it was actually rather good.  As a pediatric cardiologist, I am certainly used to dealing with patients for whom there is a suspicion of cardiac disease.  Looking at your profie, you're from the UK.  I can say that there have been a number of historic issues with the NHS regarding concerns for the quality of care, including the Bristol Inquiry.  I've not worked with UK pediatricians, but like anywhere else, there is going to be variability in quality; there will be good docs, and not-so-good docs.  So, should your daughter's issues have been recognized earlier?  Probably, although I don't know what her findings were in the first year of her life and I don't know what you were told.  I certainly can say that the cardiac defects that you describe are, by and large, quite easy to manage medically and/or surgically fairly early in life.  However, if she had these cardiac defects AND Hirschsprung's disease AND pectus carinatum (the chest wall deformity), I would be also worried that she may have had a genetic problem that put her at greater risk of a poor outcome.
hi,thankyou...thankyou so much for not beating round the bush and saying it how it is...its been over 17 years now and nobody has ever been held accountable..she had a rare genetic syndrome (GOLDBERG AND SHPRINTZEN) not to be confused with SPHRINTZEN AND GOLDBERG....why do I know this?..because I done my homework..not because I had any kind of support...
do you know what mr.jeffery r boris m.d?.... I was 21 when my daughter died..i turned 22 the day before I buried her...I was young and I searched for years since...I fought for years while she was with us and got fobbed off...her heart was 3 times the size it should of been...was told she was pigeon chested..she suffered..i mean suffered with her bowels..her hirshbrungs was found in her post mortem...there are soooo so so many other factors I feel I was let down with and none held accountable....I just know if it was me.. I wonder how they sleep at night,,,coz mine isn't your ordinary case...I went on to bury her again and again involved in the alderhey organ scandal....I thankyou for you honesty but I also expect not to here from you again as so many others before you wont get involved with my history....its been a long time for me.....I do apologise once I get going I go on a bit..ha.....that's not the situation...that's just my personality lol...
Dear Lisa,

If she was actually diagnosed with Goldberg-Shprintzen megacolon syndrome, there should have been genetic testing done that would have confirmed this.  I do recommend against making a clinical diagnosis just by reading on your own, although it is helpful for your input to make the doctors think about other things besides common issues.  It certainly would have been good if the diagnosis had been made initially to be able to think about what things to look for in the various potentially affected organ systems.  However, due to how rare it is, it was likely not thought of.
Dear Jeffery R Boris. M.D.

Dear Sir...
huni...I look back at a previous message you mentioned regarding the problem could be withing the nhs....well!...can I ask you a question?....a child of 18 months old with obvious learning difficulties presents problems with consistent bowel problems.(since birth)...mother..(ME)..does nothing but approach drs...always to be told...."I was overprotective".."overreacting"...even wen my daughters chest was 3 times the size it should of been...she has synanosis..and clubbed fricken fingers.......tell me?.............was I overprotective..or knew more than them fkrs x
Dear Lisa,

Without knowing how the specific physicians there responded, I don't know for sure how to answer your question.
hi..i totally understand your response...as my situation is extremely rare...I know that...there is far too much to explain...im trying to even think how to summarise it...,I could write a book..i don't know where to start!
my daughter suffered..i know for sure one thing tho...for all her problems one thing I will never understand is how much she suffered because of her bowels...it will be on record how many times I continually took her to the doctors and not one person (gp) picked it up...every fortnight she would become unwell..temperature,vomiting,..then it was like watching a woman having a baby...her stools were huge and long and she suffered and was in pain and they gave me fricken lactulose and senna........she had hirshbrungs disease..found in her post mortem........I was young..i didn't even know what that was and I put my faith in these bloody doctors....she didn't need to suffer like that..how is that for specific....