Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
VSD and is it genetic?

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

VSD and is it genetic?

I had my anatomy and growth ultasound at 20wks 5days. On the ultasound a 3mm VSD was seen. What is  the likely hood that this will close on it's own, will it get larger as the baby grows, and are VSD's genetic? I had a daughter 6 yrs ago that had Trisomy 13 and she also had a VSD. I have had the quad screen and all normal blood work to test for any genetic disorder and everything has returned as normal. My husband and I both had chromosomal analysis and we have no chromosomal defects. I was just wondering if this is something that we will have to watch for since they both had/have VSD's.
Ventricular septal defects (VSDs) are among the most common congenital heart anomalies diagnosed in the newborn, and generally there is no genetic tendency.  The fact that your previous child had Trisomy 13 (known to have associated heart disease) is not relevant here if the other genetic evaluations that you have had so far have been normal. However without an amniocentesis one cannot be completely cleared of a possible genetic syndrome.  Most of the small VSDs close up in the months and years after birth.  Your doctor will likely want to repeat the fetal echocardiogram during the pregnancy to see if there is a change in size of the VSD or if any other congenital anomlies are more obvious as the baby gets larger.  Certainly a post natal echocardiogram and evaluation by a cardiologist will need to be considered after birth.