Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
VSD in 8 week old
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

VSD in 8 week old

My daughter is two months old.  She was born with a VSD and ASD.  The ASD is very small but the VSD is classified as moderate size (6mm).  Her growth rate is at the 25%.  She has had feeding issues since birth but exhibits NO other physical VSD symptoms.  It seems she feeds enough to get rid of hunger pains and then stops.  She doesnt tire she just acts like she is full.  10 days ago she had a bad two days where she ate little and was fussing hysterically.  We admited her to the hospital and they inserted a feeding tube and we have been nourishing her with bottle and feeding tube for the past week and it's like we have a new baby.  She has gained 12 ounces in 7 days feeding her about 25 cals per ounce, 24 ounces per day.  She is on lasix with a small dose of blood pressure medication.  Her breathing was a bit labored a few weeks back but is now normal.  Her oxygen levels are always 97% or higher and all her other vitals are normal.  The doctor recommended surgey in two weeks.  She would be 10 weeks old.  Personally, I think this was a knee jerk reaction.   I dont understand why the decision to perform surgery was recommended when she has reacted so well to the recent treatments.  If she is thriving, even with a feeding tube, and her vitals are normal than why operate now?  The cardiologist seems to think the hole has enlarged some but that is debatable to me since the three ultrasounds were performed by two different people on two different machines.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.