Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
VSD of 3mm and its treatment

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

VSD of 3mm and its treatment

My three months child born on 28.10.2012 and he has a VSD of 3mm.  Please tell me either he has to undergo heart surgery or I can wait for more time for healing of its own. Further he has no PDA, PS or PAH according to Echo done on 12.12.2012.  Please suggest me immediately so I can take further action at the earliest please.
Dear Arun,

Without evaluating him, I cannot say whether he requires surgery, or not.  However, if he is three months old, has a 3 mm ventricular septal defect, and has had no problems with getting out of breath or getting sweaty with feeds, he is likely not going to require surgery at this time.  I do not know if he is on medications or how he is growing, either?  If he is on no medications and is growing well, he is also not likely to require surgery.
He is on medication in consultation with heart institute.  His weight is now 5kg and he has no problems in breathing and not getting sweaty with feeds till now.  The treating MO will review him on 12.02.2013 and then he give the next direction regarding his treatment.  The medicine advised him is Furosemide Susp. 0.2ml BD.  Please suggest.
Dear Arun,

This forum is not for suggesting medications for patients who have not been evaluated by the respondents.  If you would like to have a second opinion for your son, you are welcome to obtain one.