Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
VSD

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

VSD

Dear Dr.,
i'm now 32 weeks plus 4 day of my second pregnancy
during my scan on 25 week VSD seen in my baby it was about 2mm in size. then 2 scans afer which is on 32 weeks and 4 days the size become 3.9mm and it is a muscular VSD. my doctor started to disscus the surgey with me to my baby after 2 months from the delivery. i'm so anxious and worried about it's need to be done, it's risk and the outcome.
please i need your advice
thank you.
Dear Mery,

First thing's first:  your baby will not become acutely ill upon delivery.  Typically, if a baby does have a problem with a ventricular septal defect (VSD), they get out of breath with feeds and/or get sweaty with feeds some time within the first 2 months.  Then, we have medications that can help to decrease these symptoms.  The reason for this is to try to allow the babies to grow enough to restrict the blood flow across the defect.  At this time, it is difficult for me to say whether surgery will be required at all.  Your cardiologist will have to evaluate the baby's heart and the size of the VSD after birth.  Sometimes, muscular VSDs can close by themselves, as well.  Thus, babies do not necessarily require surgery at two months, or four months, or even at all.  I can say that, in a facility that does a lot of these, the outcomes are excellent with normal lifespans and the risks are quite minimal.