Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
VSD

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

VSD

My 2yr old daughter had surgery to fix a ASD and VSD when she was 2 and 1/2 months old. Since we found she has a residual VSD. Yesterday we found out her VSD is pulling on her aortic valve and their thinking about another surgery. My daughter is only 22lbs and has translocation down syndrome. We want to know if surgery is our only option for the best care for her.
Dear Trinny,

Without evaluating your daughter, I cannot say what the best plan is for her.  Certainly, the fact that the aortic valve leaflet is being pulled down into the VSD is a known potential complication of this defect.  However, if she is doing well, growing well, and now having any symptoms from a cardiac standpoint, it may be worthwhile just watching until there is actual moderate or severe leakage of the aortic valve.  If the valve is otherwise functioning normally, there may not be any reason to intervene.  At any rate, there is not another way of both closing the defect and restoring integrity to the valve, unfortunately.