Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
VSDs

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

VSDs
man suffering VSD does grow old?
Dear Yhanz,

Based on the limited information you are giving me, I am assuming that you are asking whether patients with VSDs can live to adulthood and have a normal lifespan.  The answer is it depends.  If there is a moderate or large VSD, the answer is no.  These patients develop pulmonary hypertension, and usually do not survive past middle age, such as the 50's.  However, patients with small VSDs absolutely can live a long life.  It is most important to make sure that there is good dental hygiene, including brushing teeth twice daily, flossing once daily, and seeing the dentist at least once a year.  This will reduce the risk of an infection of the heart.  The other important thing is to make sure that, if the small VSD is near the aortic valve, the valve function is normal and it is not getting sucked down into the defect so that the valve starts to leak.