Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
VSD's

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

VSD's

Hi all,
I am new to this site and to cardiology issues but looking for some answers.
My daughter is 13weeks old and diagnosed with 2 small (3mm) holes at 6wks old. She has always been a sleepy baby but once woken fed well (upto 180ml x 5 feeds/day). For the past 2 weeks her sleeping has increased to the point where I have to wake her for all her feeds and once feeding she falls asleep during the feed. I push her feeds constantly waking her during them but I am lucky if I can get 100ml into her. Breast feeding is now way to strenuous for her so I express and feed her from a bottle.
She also has episodes (1-2 times a day) of going blue around her mouth and her arms when asleep, and almost every time she gets upset.
She has been gaining good weight but I worry with the decrease in feed amounts this will change.
I can't get in to see her cardiologist for another month and my GP offers little advise other then she needs to be reviewed.
I am concerned that although she wasn't showing symptoms of the VSD's she now is and if a month is too long for her to be reviewed.
Thanks in advance,
Emily
Dear Emily,

Without seeing your daughter, I cannot say exactly how to answer your concerns.  However, I can say that the things you should be looking for in her for evidence that her heart defects are causing her to have what we term, "congestive heart failure (CHF)," include getting out of breath with feeds, taking a long time to finish her feeds (such as 30 to 60 minutes), and getting sweaty when she feeds.  Feeding is the most strenuous thing babies do, so it's almost their "stress test."  If she is not doing any of those things, then she is likely not having CHF.  Your primary care provider should be able to at least rule this out with you and determine if there are other things that should be considered.  Also, if the primary care provider is concerned about CHF, he should be able to contact the cardiologist to have her evaluated sooner.  If you are not getting the answers that you need in a timely fashion, though, you should consider getting a second opinion.