Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Venus congestion?

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Venus congestion?

My son is 2.  He has down syndrome, surgery to repair av canal devect 6/10/08 and currently has pulmonary hypertension and mitral valve regurgitation.  We have observed this(see picture) in his leg frequently when he is napping.  His cardiologist is calling it venous congestion and does not think too much of it.  It seems to wake my son up and cause him pain or discomfort.  Could this be something other than venous congestion?
[IMG]http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq304/blcmec1/009.jpg[/IMG]
Dear Mark’s mom,

This picture appears to be something like a vascular malformation called cutis marmorata.  It is not a cardiac abnormality, although it can be associated with cardiac defects.  Although I cannot tell for sure, it does not appear to be venous congestion, especially since it is occurring on one side.  My recommendation is that you take your son to a pediatric dermatologist, who will be able to better evaluate your son in person and to get more of a history in order to better make a diagnosis.  There can be other associated diagnoses with cutis marmorata, including eye, limb, and brain abnormalities, for which the dermatologist will be able to refer you for further evaluation, as appropriate.