Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Waiting for BC Childrens to call

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Waiting for BC Childrens to call

Hello Everyone. My daughter is 6 years old. All I know at this point is that she has a confirmed sinus arrhythmia and her lips periodically turn blue sometimes when she is active, sometimes while resting. She has had "seizures" at 2 and again when at 4 years, both time blue lips and she went limp like a rag doll, eyes open and no response verbally. I need help. PLEASE. We have been on a waiting list for months and no call from the Childrens Hospital. She really needs help. We need to know what is wrong. We dont have any pediatric cardiologists in Kelowna, and the local cardiologists will not even book an appointment with her because she is too young, we are not close enough to the top of the list at BC Childrens yet to even get a call. Last month she was in the local hospital for 6 days. Has anyone experienced similar? Any doctors out there who may be able to give me some idea what she should not do or avoid and what to watch for? please help her.
Tags: blue lips
Dear BCMom,

Unfortunately, without evaluating your daughter or getting more of a history, I cannot tell you what is going on here.  I can say that sinus arrhythmia is actually normal, and occurs with respiratory variation of the heartbeat; the heart rate goes up with inspiration and down with expiration.  If you are really concerned, you may need to travel to see a pediatric cardiologist or another specialist.