Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Where do I start?

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Where do I start?

I have a 16 yr old. when she goes from laying down to standing up her blood pressure drops. She is dizzy all the time. She is freezing and occasionally has a hot flash. She has a non stop head ache Left side in the back and right side in the front. Drinks lots of Gatorade. Is nauseous most of the time but eating small amounts regularly. Not sure what to document....Not sure what kind of doctor to start with...She has been to the ER a couple of times... They give her an IV and tell her to drink....She does drink lots but seems to be better with the IVs but not completely and it comes back by morning. She is very athletic and is on the go most of the time. For the last two months she has cut back on activities and gotten more rest and it does not seem to be helping.
Dear green rose:  your daughter sounds like she has symptoms of orthostatic hypotension, meaning that her blood has to fight gravity when she is erect, but her body cannot keep her blood pressure steady, and the blood pressure drops, leading to the symptoms you describe.  Although lots of fluid and salt is the first way to go, there are some teens that need medication.  When the symptoms are severe it is termed POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) and may be difficult to treat.  I would suggest that you find a local pediatric cardiologist for an evaluation.  They will determine what tests are necessary, what type of medications might be helpful here, and what other specialist input might be needed.