Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
abnormal EKG

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

abnormal EKG

i am 17 years old i have anxiety and depression well i went to the doctor this morning for chest pain that has been going on for a couple of months now and 3 days ago it got worse than i had it before when i went to the doctor they did and EKG blood work and chest xray said everything looked fine and said it was muscle spasms and sent me home with motrin and flexiril well 3 hours after i go home they called me back and told me that i had an abnormal EKG that it wasnt serious not to rush into it could it be my heart or stress ? i have been stressed lately i have 2 kids and my daughter crys all day long and i get stressed out bc of that my son doesnt listen so im always having to yell at him i cant handle it but idk if i should be worried or not ?
Most chest pain in young people is not of cardiac origin, and if an ECG and Chest xray were normal, then that should be of some consolation.  Not sure what kind of lab work they did, but if they checked cardiac enzymes and they were normal, then it was not likely heart pain.  That being said, we have not reviewed your ECG and cannot say if it is normal or not.  If, in retrospect, they feel that the ECG you had is NOT normal, then you should be seen by a cardiologist for a double check. It is a good idea to see if the medication regimen they prescribed helps or not.  the cardiologist will want to know that.  Stress can certainly cause people to have a variety of symptoms, but it is a diagnosis of exclusion and you have to make sure that it is not something important before labelling the chest pain as related to that.  So I would recommend follow up with a cardiologist.  Additionally, given your young age, having children and a high level of stress, I would recommend seeking some counseling and make sure that you are getting the support that you need to care for yourself and your family.  It sounds like a difficult situation and you need support from family, friends and whatever public agencies can help. If you have a case worker or guidance counsellor at school, you should talk to them. Good luck.
my heart was beating kinda fast during the ekg ?
i have also had orange stool too...