Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
abnormalities?

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

abnormalities?

My 13 year old daughter, an elite level swimmer, recently participated in an echos for athletes program with what I believe was a 2D echo. The report we received lists her est EF at 40 - 45%.  Her LVID ED chord, PLAX was 41.5mm and her FS, chord PLAX was 21% trivial regurgitation and these values are indicated to be outside the normal range.  In the conclusion section of the report the summary states that her "heart has normal pumping function".  No further actions were suggested and everything else was within the normal range with a mention of trivial regurgitation.  Her blood pressure was 87/47 which is pretty typical for her. I'm confused because some of the values are outside of the normal range yet the summary did not seem to indicate a problem.  Is this anything to be concerned about?
An ejection fraction of 40-45% on a 2 D echocardiogram is not normal.  Normal is 55% or above. However the LV dimension of 41.5 mm does not sound enlarged.  Given the discrepancy in the findings on the echocardiogram report, and your daughter's athletic nature, it would be prudent to have a formal evaluation by a pediatric cardiologist.  Sometimes there are measurement errors in the determination of the ejection fraction that might make it come up low, when it is actually normal, and the physician should be able to make that determination.