Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
any surgery chance for my little girl?

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

any surgery chance for my little girl?

hello iam an African parent with a small girl age about 16months, she was diagnosed to have a complex heart condition i.e Transposition of the great arteries and a complete artrioventricular canal. we leave in Africa and this examination was done here in Africa by a visiting American Doctor Craig Sable his e_mail is "***@****"
my question is does my little princess have anychance of surgery?
i would love to send you the full extent of the report but i could not attach it however you have Dr Sable's e-mail
Chris

Dear atwooki: This forum is not set up to arrange communication between physicians.  Dr. Sable would have given you his opinion regarding your daughter’s heart condition at the time that the evaluation was done.  Unfortunately, the combination of transposition of the great arteries and complete atrioventricular canal defect will generally cause high pressure in the lungs (called pulmonary hypertension) by the age of 16 months, except if there is blockage of the pulmonary valve present as well.  If there is no blockage of the pulmonary valve, then the pressure in the lungs increases to the same pressure as the body.  If this goes on for more than a year, generally the lungs are irreversibly, permanently damaged and surgery is not an option.