Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
asd n muscular vsd

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

asd n muscular vsd

My daughter is 4.5 months old, havin 4mm asd and 5mm and 4mm muscular vsd diagoned on routine echocardiogra m , she is asymptomatic,  few cardiologist said it closes with age and other suggest for OHS since there is pul htn, but since my baby is very active, we are confused whether to wait or go with surgery,  please suggest
A 4 mm ASD is not large and likely will close up or get smaller over time; it would not be a driving factor for surgical intervention at this point.  I think you are saying that there are 2 VSD's- one 5 mm and one 4 mm in size, is that correct?  (combined effect could be at least of moderate extra blood flow to the lungs which could elevated the lung artery pressure.  If there is evidence of elevated blood pressure in the lungs (pulmonary hypertension) and the VSDs are not getting smaller over time, then heart surgery may be needed at some point.  But she is still young and muscular VSDs can decrease in size with growth.  if she is clinically well, this can probably be watched for a couple of more months before deciding.  You should ask your child's cardiologist if the VSDs have gotten smaller over time and if there is any evidence that they are becoming more restrictive.