Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
chance of closing 4.4mm asd in a 4 weeks old baby on his own?

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

My newborn son got a 4.4mm asd  2  ° (left-to-right shunt), along with stenosis and mild TR. (as per echo color doppler report).

He is a premature baby born at 34 week gestation with weight of 2 kg, on Nov 10, 2012. His above mentioned problems were detected last week when he is 4 weeks old.

My question is what is chance of closing the asd on his own?

What are things that we should do and should not do. Unfortunately, the baby is mostly on formula, with little occasional breastfeed.
A 4 mm atrial septal defect has a very good chance of closing on its own over time and is unlikely to require any intervention.  there is nothing to be done except to follow up with a cardiologist in 6 months to see if it is still there or not. There is nothing else special that you need to do. Good luck.
That's very reassuring, thanks alot.