Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
chest pain

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

chest pain

My 7 year old son has been complaining of chest pains to which he describes as "bugs eating his heart" I tried to get a better discription but had minimal success. Should I be worried about this or could it be just some indigestion?
Chest pain or discomfort in children is not rare, and the history of when it happens (at rest or with exercise), time of day, how long it lasts, and how do the child looks, are all important. It is important to know if there is any dizziness, passing out or shortness of breath when it happens. There is not enough information here for me to tell you whether it is something to worry about.  Statistically chest pain in children most often does NOT have a cardiac origin.  If your child gets this at rest, looks well and is not pale or dizzy, and it is relatively brief ( a few minutes) it is likely not a worry.  You could check the pulse rate when he complains next.  It is always best to review the symptoms and situation in detail with your doctor, in order to determine if additional testing is necessary.