Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
concerned for daughter

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

concerned for daughter

My daughter, who is 5, has been experiencing a lot of heart palpitations at school in gym class and at home when she gets very active. She also gets very white/gray around her mouth and nose when this happens. There was an incident at home after this happened where she couldnt walk and I thought she would pass out. She kept holding her upper chest. She has an appointment with a pediatric card next week. She was born with a heart murmor but I was told she grew out of it. Does this sound like heart disease or is it something that could be normal.
If a child complains of heart palpitations and turns pale then there is a good chance that this is a true arrhythmia of the heart.  You should keep the appt with the cardiologist, but if any other sustained episodes occur, you should take her to the local hospital emergency room for an electrocardiogram (ECG) to be done and try to capture what it is she is feeling.