Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
congenital heart disease

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

congenital heart disease

Sir
My kid is just one month old and the doctor have diagonised and telling that its found CONGENITAL ACYANOTIC HEART DISEASE OSTIUM SECUNDUM ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT {CBRI FORM} 1:5:1 SHUNT NO PS,NO PAH

We are literally worried of the child kindly advice.please mail us at ***@****
Dear Smilepraveen,

Your child has a hole between the upper two chambers of the heart called an atrial septal defect, or ASD.  The 1.5:1 shunt means that there is some increased blood flow returning to the lungs.  However, patients with ASDs are typically asymptomatic and are able to grow adequately.  Without seeing your child, I do not know how large the defect is.  There may be a reasonable chance that the defect may get smaller over time.  It does not have to close completely--it only has to become small enough to restrict the amount of blood that is returning across the defect from the left side of the heart to the right.  If your child continues to have a sizable defect in which the right side of the heart remains enlarged by age 2-4 years, it will likely mean that the defect should undergo closure, either by surgery or by a device that is placed by a catheter in the heart.  ASDs are not associated with sudden cardiac death, so your child should otherwise do well at this point.
Do you know the size of the defect? ASD (atrial septal defect)s will often close on their own. My daughter was born with a large VSD and small ASD. Her ASD is getting smaller on it's own, however she is having open heart surgery next month to repair her VSD.