Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
coronary shunt
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

coronary shunt

My daughter had a murmur diagnosed by chance during a routine dr. visit at age 11.  we were referred to a cardio and tests showed "squishy valve".  no restrictions, follow up at age 14.  we just followed up and were told "coronary shunt" with "pulmonary involvement" .  no idea what that means.  told to follow up test in one year, no restrictions.  Saw another dr. to get a physical form for sports, and she refused to sign off, saying cardiac involvement needed to be -re-evaluated.  Going to see another dr. next week, my daugher is flipping out about missing sports, and soccer starts next week.  Should I worry?  I thought this was nothing, but now I am not so sure.
Related Discussions
773637_tn?1327450515
Dear Alikat,

Unfortunately, based on what you are telling me, I have no idea what is happening with your daughter.  The “coronary shunt” may be a coronary fistula, or connection, between one of the coronary arteries and either another coronary artery or a heart chamber/vessel, such as the pulmonary artery or something else.  However, I really cannot tell.

Therefore, first, I would make sure that she was seen by a pediatric cardiologist, and not an adult cardiologist.  Second, I would make sure that all of your questions are answered by the cardiologist so that you fully understand what is wrong with your daughter’s heart.  Third, the cardiologist should be in contact with your primary care provider, so that the information is appropriately passed along and can be used to determine whether is appropriate for her to play sports.  And, fourth, if you are not getting the information that you need, you should consider a second opinion evaluation.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank