Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
corrected malpostion Vs corrected transpostion of great arteries

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

My son has diagnosed with D-Tga during routine fetal echo which means that the arteries is switched and the ventricles have normal positions.
After birth the baby was healthy and the diagnose has changed from D-tga to CC-tga or L-tga without VSD.

I have searched a lot and found that there is a disease called corrected malpostion of great arteries  type (S,D,L) in this case the aorta and pulmonary arteries are parallel but each one connected to its appropriate ventricle. By Van Praagh
In the article , it says that a lot of examiners misdiagnosed CC-TGA and the right diagnose was corrected malpostion of great arteries only.
And they also gave a lot of signs to differentiate between CC-TGA and corrected malpostion  one of these signs is Right sided aortic arch which is existing in my son case.

Is this disease really exist?
Dear Mostafafathi,

Yes, this does exist.  The diagnosis of l-transposition of the great arteries (also called "congenitally corrected" transposition) occurs when the positions of the atria are normal, the ventricular positions are switched (meaning that a right ventricle formed on the left and a left formed on the right), and the great arteries (aorta and pulmonary artery) are in the normal position.  Without evaluating your son, I cannot say exactly which defect he has.  L-TGA can have a right aortic arch, as well, so that doesn't necessarily rule that out.  In the end, it is most important to know what the ventricular and great artery relationships are because the prognosis is different in d-TGA (in which the great arteries are reversed) vs. l-TGA.  L-TGA requires very different management.
dear Jeffrey

Ok now I have three questions
1. If he has malposition of great arteries S, D, L  without associated
Defects . Is it a problem ?
2. Is malposition of great arteries S. D. L more rarely than l-tga?
3. Can Echo differeniate accurately between the ventriculars?
dear Jeffrey

Ok now I have three questions
Defects . Is it a problem ?
Dear Mostafafathi,

1.  I cannot say without evaluating him further.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
2.  Yes
3.  Yes, in good/experienced hands
Dear Jeffrey,

Thanks alot for your time.