Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
dysautonomia chop

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

dysautonomia chop

my daughter was recently dignosed with pots. she is 17 years old. i was thinking about transfering her to a specialist at chop. they have tried a few medicines but nothing seems to help her constant headaches, stomach pain, vommiting, chestpain, etc. if she came to chop what would you guys look at doing for her? do you ever admit teens with dysautonomia to your hospital to observe abd treet on an inpatient basis?
Dear Christina,

POTS, or postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, is one of the dysautonomias, or syndromes of autonomic nervous system dysfunction.  There is great variation in evaluation and therapy in POTS around the country, which suggests that we don’t fully understand what causes it or how to diagnose it.  Personally, I do not admit my patients with POTS for evaluation or treatment.  I obtain a history in the clinic and assess for the constellation of symptoms that can be seen with POTS.  These findings can be seen in websites such as www.dinet.org and www.dynakids.org.  From a therapeutic standpoint, there are numerous potential treatments that can be used for the specific symptoms of POTS.  There are both non-pharmacologic as well as pharmacologic interventions.  Realize that many of the medications that can be used are used “off-label,” which means that they are used in a way other than how they are FDA approved or marketed.  As well, realize that therapy for POTS is very individualized, and what works for one patient does not work for another.  Finally, please understand that it can sometimes take a while to get to a correct therapeutic regimen for these patients, so perseverance with your provider is important.  However, without having a complete history and examination of your daughter, I cannot say for sure which therapies would be most appropriate for her.