Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
echocardiogram to rule out vascular ring?
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

echocardiogram to rule out vascular ring?

Hi, I posted a few months ago before my son had his follow up appointment with the cardiologist. So here's the story. I'll make it quick. My son had a heart murmur that turned out to be innocent, and the cardiologist told me that his heart was perfect. During the echo they incidentally found a right aortic arch. The cardiologist was unable to see if there was a vascular ring or not, so she told us to return for a follow up appointment to see if he had this vascular ring. He had his appointment about a month ago. They did another echocardiogram, and she said the branching is normal with no vascular ring. I understand that I am probably being over paranoid but I have read that an echocardiogram is not the best imaging modality to diagnose a vascular ring. I know that there is a rare type of ring with normal branching, so I'm just worried that maybe she wasn't able to see it on the echo? She said that she will never need to see my son again as there is no vascular ring.the internet has just kind of scared me by saying that sometimes an echo can miss a vascular ring. Can I rest assured that the cardiologist was able to fully exclude a vascular ring with an ecocardiogram alone?

Thank you so much in advance for your response.