Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
examination

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

examination

The doctor at my child's examination said ' The heart revealed a regular rate and rhythm. (and I don't know the pronounciation) He said " no murmur was osciltated (?)"  How is that word spelled and does it mean no murmur was noted?
Dear Patty,

The term that your doctor likely said was, “auscultated,” which means heard.  Thus, no murmur heard means that no murmur was noted on your child’s examination.  Yes, we do use big medical terms, although it is certainly within your right to ask what we mean if we’re not doing a good job explaining things to you!