Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
exercise restrictions for BAV moderate Aortic Valve insufficiency

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Hi I have been on here a few times with Questions regarding my 11 year old son who has BAV, Post stenotic aorta dilatation and Moderate Aortic Valve Insufficiency.  My question is what kind of exercises can my son do?  He is interested in Gymnastics but that includes bars and lots of flips and summersaults.  He is also interested in curling and distance running.  Can he participate in any of these activities?  He did a trial of enalapril a few years ago but is currently on no medications.  He is getting really frustrated trying to find some phyical activites to do.  He did play hockey and Lacrosse up until this fall but because it has now become a contact leaque with Checking he isn't allowed to play anymore.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Specific recommendations regarding exercise participation in a child with aortic valve disease can only be made by your child's cardiologist.  This forum is not the venue for that.  Your doctor has all the specific information that is needed to make those recommendations and they should be the ones to explain the reasoning for restrictions and why they are recommending them for your child.  In general we ask children with bicuspid aortic valves and aortic regurgitation that is more than mild to refrain from weight lifting, wrestling, football, and isometric activities where they are straining their upper body.  This may include some gymnastic activities. You are already aware of the contact restrictions when the aorta is dilated.  You should discuss this further with your child's cardiologist. You can also look up the 36th Bethesda conference on line:  this addresses recommendations regarding sports participation in patients with congenital heart disease.
Thank you Dr Gleason,
Sorry I forgot to add that my son does have the no isometric exercise restrictions on him as well as no contact sports.  I just don't know what classifies as isometric exercises, and I thank you for giving me some examples and a website to check out.  I just wish there was a list of activities you can and cannot due which would make this alot easier to decipher.  Sorry for forgeting to add this info and thank you again for your time.