fetal Irregular heart beat

I am 33 weeks pregnant and my baby has been diagnosed with irregular heartbeats. The heartbeat is normal for about 4 seconds, and the it misses beats for about 2 seconds then back to normal. This is a pattern and has been noticed for a week now. Everything else is ok, including the developement of the heart. Doctors are suggesting premature birth.
Please advice as we are in a situation and not sure how to proceed.
Dear Meloman,

Without seeing your baby's heart rhythm or cardiac anatomy, I cannot say for sure.  However, if the anatomy and function of your baby's heart is normal, and there is no sustained abnormal heartbeats (arrhythmias), then there is not an indication for premature delivery.  We often see early heartbeats in fetuses, typically in the second trimester.  These then resolve by the third trimester, but they can also persist into the newborn time period.  However, these are typically benign and do not cause any problems.