Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
heart murmur in plumonary gland

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

heart murmur in plumonary gland

My grandson was born with a heart murmur in his pulmonary gland. The doctors says it is gone, but he has a very mild case of asthma and can not fight off colds.
Dear None,

I think that the information that was given to you was misinterpreted.  There is no pulmonary gland.  There is a pulmonary artery, which is the artery that takes blood from the right side of the heart to the lungs to get oxygen.  The fact that it is gone suggests that this was an innocent, or normal, murmur; 2/3 of all kids have innocent murmurs that are not associated with any actual heart disease, As well, this is not typically associated with the function of the immune system or with asthma, although without evaluating your grandson, I cannot say for sure what is going on.  I recommend that you either discuss this further with your child or accompany them for the next doctor's visit.