Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
infundibular 5mm vsd

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

infundibular 5mm vsd

Hi Doc,

my baby is 28 days old and has been diagnosed with 3-4 mm size fossa ovalis ASD with L-->R flow.
Non restrictive infundibular vsd 5mm with L-->R flow.
Pulmonary valve PG of 43 mmHG
RV and RA enlarged..

feeding of baby is normal, no breathign problem.

Please advise..
Dear Heerabisht,

Without evaluating your baby, I cannot say what the prognosis or plan would be.  I can say that your baby should be followed by a pediatric cardiologist.  I can also say that if your baby starts getting out of breath or getting sweaty with feeding, it may be necessary to start medications or even to consider surgery to close the VSD.  The good news here is that the pulmonary valve stenosis (obstruction) may limit the amount of blood coming across the VSD, which may allow your baby to grow and to close both the VSD and the ASD.  As well, over time, the pulmonary stenosis CAN go away, although at this amount of obstruction, it may also get worse.  It will need to be watched.  If the defects become smaller and the pulmonary stenosis gets worse, your baby may require cardiac catheterization with balloon valvuloplasty of the pulmonary valve, in which a balloon is inflated across the pulmonary valve and slightly tears the valve to reduce the obstruction.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion. went to paeditric consultant and have echo done of the baby. now th PV PG is around 35mhg and vsd detected is around 6-7 mm. the doc had said to watch his weight and to show him again after a month.he has also prescribed medication. He said that the baby have to be operated within 3-6 months or ealier or later depending upon the condition of baby. only 10 percent chances of automic closure of VSD.