Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
interpretation of echocardiogram
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

interpretation of echocardiogram

I have a 7 year-old daughter (born 23 March 2003).  Ealier this year, she wasdiagnosed with Congenital MV Regurgitation and I was referred to a peadiatirc cardiology surgeon.  In May this year, the doctor recommended surgery to repair the valve or if necessary replace it.  The conclusion from the cardiologist was that her echocardiographic features were consistent with congenital MR and the doctor was concerned that her EF had dropped from 69% to 58%.  The diagnosis then was that she had congenital severe MV regurgitation.  At the time she was on furosemide 40mg bd/ Captopril25mg po bd tds/spironolactone2mg po daily/ penVK 250mg po bd.  She has since stopped the treatment.

Today (13 Ocotber), I went to seek a second opinion and my main concern is that the EF is now 70%.  Is that good or bad?  The echo test says thst there is severe prolapse of anterior leafet; doppler - severe MI. on the MV valve.  All is normal on the AV, for TV: 2D is normal and doppler- TI (gradient of TI +/- 29mmHg).  PV: 2D is normal again, Doppler- mild PI, acceleration time+/-100millisek.
Summary-Cardiac chambers
LV-severe dilatation (ED:63mm) + volume overloadin.  EF+/- 70%
AV - normal
TV - Normal + TI.  Calculated systolic pressure +/-39mmHg
PV - Normal + mild PI.  Mean PAP +/-28mmHg

May you please explain to me, in simple english what all this means? Does the change of EF indicate improvement? Is surgery absolutely necessary in this case?