Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
irregular heatbeat

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

irregular heatbeat

My wife is 22 months pregnant, and when she went for ultrasound she was told the baby has an irregular heartbeat, (after every 5th beat, the next fades a little) we are worried to death even though were told it is regular in its irregularity-we were also told not to be too worried there was no course for concern.  Is our baby in trouble?  My wife does not use drugs or anything, she was sent for tests and we are still waiting for the results.  We are so worried, it is our first child.
Dear Cheriza,

I hope that you mean 22 weeks pregnant--I'd be MUCH more worried if your wife was 22 months pregnant!!!

Isolated early beats in the second trimester is very common and normal.  They typically disappear during the third trimester or even after birth.  As long as there is not a sustained abnormally fast heart rhythm (tachyarrhythmia), these should not be a problem.  Of course, without seeing an ultrasound of the baby's heart, I cannot say for sure; if the baby has a structurally normal heart, that would also likely mean that these are benign.  However, if there is a structural abnormality of the heart, then further evaluation may be indicated.