Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
is a ostium primum self correccting?
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

is a ostium primum self correccting?

My daughter was born 8 weeks early and at about 3 weeks old, GA about 35 weeks, she underwent an cardiac echo for frequent episodes of bradycardia during feeding.  At that time she was diagnosed with a ostium primum, according ro her medical records although I don't remember the doctor using those words (she mostly talked about a hole in her heartremaining from fetal cardiac anatomy).  I was told that most of the premies in the nursery probably had the same defect and it would probably correct itself. Once I read the diagnosis I did some research everything indicated that ostium secondum might self correct but not ostium primum.  What am I missing?  At 5 months old she had an ECG which was "normal" -whatever that means- and presents no systems that I know of.  The pediatric cardiologist that I saw didn't think that her condition warranted a second echo because, she said, at her age that would involve sedating her.  Her next appointment is at age 18 months.  I've read differing opinions on when to take corrective measures if they're necessary.  What should I be doing for her?