Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
is baby need surgery

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

is baby need surgery
my 7 days baby presented with shortness of breathing, central cyanosis. she was diagnosed a large size vsd, small size asd, no pda identified.
Dear Dramjad,

Without evaluating your daughter, I cannot say for sure.  A large VSD, however, is likely not going to close on its own.  She can be managed with medications to reduce the congestive heart failure symptoms that she will likely have (getting out of breath and/or getting sweaty with feeds).  But, if it is truly a large defect, the chance that it will become restrictive to flow is small.  She will need frequent follow-up with her cardiologist to determine the timing of her surgical intervention.  In the meantime, the ASD likely will not require intervention, and may close by itself.  That said, many surgeons will go ahead and close it anyway while they are in repairing the VSD.