Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
mitral valve replacement timing?
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

mitral valve replacement timing?

my daughter is 5. small, 1-5th percentile weight, 7th% height, with suspected, yet unidentified connective tissue disorder with cardiac involvement. all heart valves affected, mitral most seriously. she also has supravalvular aortic stenosis. she is currently on enalapril 1.5 ml/twice daily. blood pressures typically 95/50, but have recently started to fall into low 40s. highlights of latest echo: abnormal, prolasping mitral and tricuspid vavles, upper moderate mitral regurg, dilated left ventrical, mild dilated left atrium, normal left ventricular systolic function, shortening fraction 31%, ejection fraction 59%, mild flow acceleration in the ascending aorta, (her aortic root diameter is at the minumum for her size)
leah's deterioration pattern has always been iratic and unpredictable. we have noticed a signifigant decline in her activity tolerance in the last couple months. she is always pale and gray around her mouth, hands and feet. she often 'grunts' when breathing. her heart rate is irregular most of the time.
finally, my question....from what i understand, the mitral valve will have to be replaced. although her overall function is still acceptable, we feel we are walking a fine line before heart failure begins. what would you advise, generally, for timing of this surgery? what are the most concerning risk/benefits? in a nutshell, should we wait for verifiable heart failure criteria before risking surgery, or would that be too late? can valves be replaced on a heart with muscle damage?
thanks for the opinion,
tawnya crawford