Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
my baby with TOF

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

my baby with TOF

thanks very much ''Marie M Gleason''  for your help. Earlier I was totally confused about my kid's condition because I have gone to India twice this year for this.  First time I went on March and they did all the necessary investigations,gave  INDERAL 10mg tablet , folic acid syrup and told me to come back on June for surgery.Second time I went on this month,this time also they did all the investigations and again told me to continue the medicine and to come back to review on September.According to your explanation I got that TOF will not get better by itself. So why are they asking to review again and again.Is he getting better,or are they waiting to do the surgery later ?Will my son have time to wait so long? (actually he is not struggling that much now as he was when abt 2-4months old. but still fast breathing and tiredness , bluish colour in his tongue,nail and lips etc,and poor gaining of weight is there)
It is hard to know why they are putting off doing the surgery without knowing more about the specifics of your child's heart problem.  There are instances when waiting for the branches of the lung arteries to grow larger is advantageous to the surgical repair.  You should specifically ask your child's doctors why the current decision is being made, so that you can better understand the plan, and also to better understand what would influence their decision making in the future.