Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
my baby

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

my baby

my son was born 37weeks. At 5days at my son first check up the pediatrician said he heard a murmur in the heart and refer my us to a cardiologist, I went when he was 7days and she confirm he had a VSD measuring 3.6mm. When he was 2mths he caught the flu n was hospitalize because of his defect. when he was release we visited the Cardiologist once more and she is saying that the VSD is now 6.6mm and she now seeing a ASD 6.4mm, my son breathe heavily n u can see feel his heart pumping n head vibrating. the Cardiologist suggest we see a Pediatric Cardiologist to do surgery. Do you think they would close again naturally or should we take the surgery?
The decision to operate on a ventricular septal defect depends upon how much blood flow is going through the hole and how high the pressure is in the lungs.  If your child is breathing heavily this would suggest that there is alot of extra blood flow going through the VSD into the lungs.  Some VSDs have a chance of getting smaller over time due to their location in the wall, and some symptoms may improve with diuretic medications.  You do not say if your child is being treated with medication or not.  Before a surgical intervention is pursued, you should make sure that you know if your child's VSD is the type that could get smaller with time, and also make sure every medication effort is made to see if there is an improvement.  Generally, surgery to close VSDs in symptomatic babies is performed in the first 6 to 12 months of life.