Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
my daughter is 10 & has been having chest pains .
About This Forum:

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

my daughter is 10 & has been having chest pains .

Hi, my daughter has been having chest pains for about 3 years now. she's been to pediatric heart doctors & they checked her heart but couldn't see anything . He gave us a recorder to record the pains but they didn't happen so we sent it back. She gets them during PE & a little while after PE & at home when she is doing playing or some times she is just turning her body & she gets them. she is also seeing a immune doctor because she's having joint pain , muscle pain & back pain. I'm worried about her heart & I have noticed that she gets a lot of pain after activity in her body.
She also has very bad asthma . I'm her mom & I also have what's card Ankylosing spondylitis . Could her heart be from an auto immune disorder? Or could there be some thing doctors are missing?
When the pain happens she says it feels like a knife got plunged in her chest & when she breathes it feels like the knife is stuck & makes it hard to breath . She also said her heart beat feels fast then gets tangled up. We have stopped all her steroid asthma mess about 3 years ago & we just use it when she's sick. She uses her fast acting puffer as needed.

Could this be her asthma acting up because she's stopped using the pulmcort? Thank you for your time. I'm just very worried ! Thanks again
773637_tn?1327450515
Dear Becky Rae,

Chest pain can be caused by lots of different reasons; the heart is actually the least common source of that pain.  Without evaluating her, I cannot tell exactly what is going on.  However, it sounds like a pediatric cardiologist has evaluated her and feels that the source of her chest pain is noncardiac. Sometimes we can see chest wall pain as a cause, especially with a history of sharp, brief chest pain.  We don't know what is causing it, and it is usually a nuisance but doesn't cause any problems.  It typically goes away with adulthood.

I cannot comment on her asthma symptoms.  Her primary care doctor should evaluate her and assess whether she is having worsening asthma.  I do not know if her chest pain is assaociated with the asthma, or not.  Inhaled steroids are not for acute use--they are to prevent asthma exacerbations, so should be used routinely for that, if your doctor feels that she needs it.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
773637_tn?1327450515
Jeffrey R Boris, M.D.Blank
The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Philadelphia, PA
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker